Metallurgy department establishes the reliability of welds and identifies material grades and physical properties by conducting different types of mechanical tests in accordance with international standards and specifications.
The mechanical tests may include, but not limited to the following:
1. Tensile Test to determine the yield strength, Tensile strength, elongation, Reduction of area.
2. Hardness test‐ Vickers, Rockwell, Brinell & Micro hardness.
3. Macro Hardness Survey on weld coupon.
4. Charpy Impact Test for standard & Sub size specimens at ambient, Sub‐zero and cryogenic temperatures.
5. Bend / Re‐bend Test/ Flattening Test.
6. Pull out Test.
7. Fracture Test.
8. Proof Load Tests.
9. Nick Break Test.
10. Compressive Load Test.
Special hardness tests as well as ferrite measurements are carried out at site by using portable equipment. Such testing is particularly suited for jobs that do not allow the samples to be transported to the laboratory.
Welding procedure tests, welder qualification tests, material conformation tests are all carried out on numerous ferrous and non‐ferrous materials for various clients.